What You Can Expect From a Professional Furnace Inspection
Autumn weather has descended upon the greater Cincinnati area, and a furnace evaluation should be at the top of your fall home maintenance checklist.
Annual preventive maintenance is essential for keeping your system operating safely and efficiently during the winter, and it can help lower utility costs while maintaining a high level of comfort.
While tune-up tasks may vary among different contractors, your qualified technician should include these essential checkpoints in your evaluation:
- Lubricate the moving parts of your system to reduce friction.
- Check the gas pressure and burner combustion to ensure they meet system specifications.
- Measure the current and voltage on the motor for efficiency.
- Clean the blower assembly and confirm proper airflow.
- Clean the heat exchanger and inspect it for cracks and corrosion.
- Inspect the terminals and wiring for corrosion, and apply a nonconductive coating if it’s needed.
- Test for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspect the ventilation system to ensure proper venting of gases.
- Inspect ductwork for loose joints, and seal with mastic duct sealant.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections.
- Test the system controls to ensure your furnace cycles properly.
There are several things you should do yourself before you turn on your furnace this fall. These tasks will help ensure the safety of your family and the efficiency of your furnace.
- Stock up on high-quality air filters. Check your air filter every month, and when dirt and debris are visible, replace it with a clean one. A clean filter ensures optimum airflow, prevents dust from entering your system and improves your indoor air quality.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans to pull warm air up and out to evenly distribute it throughout your rooms, keeping you more comfortable at lower thermostat settings.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure one of each is installed on every floor in your home, with one close to your main sleeping area.
To schedule your fall furnace evaluation with one of our qualified technicians in the greater Cincinnati area, please feel free to contact us at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.