Between fluctuating temperatures, holiday decorations and a swarm of guests, fall can ruin your best efforts to run an energy-efficient home. But with a little extra attention to these key areas, you’ll easily be able to bolster your home efficiency.
Timing Is Everything
One of the best ways to maximize your efficiency is using timers to control energy usage. Key areas where timers make a difference to power consumption are:
- Light displays: Use a timer so decorative lighting is on for the hours between getting home from work and going to bed. Save more by using a daylight sensor so the lights are only on after dark.
- Cooking: Instead of opening the oven repeatedly to check things, set timers and check dishes sparingly. Double-dip your savings by baking in batches to maximize the time your oven is up to temperature. Not preheating the oven for long roasting jobs is another energy-saving tip, and be sure to turn the heating down on days the oven does overtime.
- Heating: Using a programmable thermostat allows you to choose offsets for when the heating kicks in.
While it’s easy to think you’re doing your utmost to be efficient, you can almost always do better. When it comes to the fall holidays, consider the following:
- Avoid excessive packaging during holiday shopping.
- Use natural decorations as much as possible, and remember that composting these after the season’s over is your best bet.
- Use solar path markers and power packs for light displays.
Wrap Up Tight
Limiting heat loss is a huge step on the road to an energy-efficient home. There’re plenty of areas to consider here, and we recommend the following holiday-specific hints:
- Do seasonal maintenance to eliminate leaks in ductwork and around doors and windows.
- Lower the set-point for your heating if you’re having a gathering or baking.
If you’re looking for more ways to create an energy-efficient home, contact the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’re proud to serve homeowners in and around the Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.