The Effects of a Dirty Air Filter on Your Cincinnati Home Are Alarming
One of the easiest ways to prolong the life of any HVAC system and make sure it continues running efficiently is to check the air filter on a regular basis and clean or replace it when necessary. The effects of a dirty air filter in your Cincinnati home can be both costly and potentially dangerous.
Effects of a Dirty Air Filter
- Reduced comfort – When the air filter is so dirty that air has trouble passing through it, heated air will have cooled or cooled air will have warmed up by the time it reaches its destination, wasting energy and reducing your comfort.
- Inefficient energy usage – A clogged air filter can cause the system to work much harder to deliver the same volume of air, resulting in large amounts of wasted energy and higher utility bills.
- Premature wear – When the system is working harder than it needs to, consumable parts such as belts, pulley and motor bearings, and the brushes in motors can fail prematurely, leading to costly repairs.
- System malfunctions – In an air conditioner, a clogged air filter can reduce the airflow in the system, freezing the evaporator coil and, if not corrected, causing compressor failure. In a furnace, a clogged filter can allow the heat exchanger to overheat, possibly causing damage to the heat exchanger or burners, and forcing the high-limit switch to cycle the furnace on and off constantly, reducing the heating efficiency.
- Poor indoor air quality – A clogged filter can’t remove airborne particles such as dust, pollen, mold spores and pet dander efficiently. This can cause breathing trouble for your family, especially those who suffer from allergies or asthma, and it could potentially cause more serious health issues, such as exposure to dangerous types of mold.
To prevent the effects of a dirty air filter, check the condition of your air filter at least once a month and clean or replace it as necessary. For more information about improving your indoor air quality, contact the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.