What Smells? Getting Rid Of 5 Unpleasant Household Odors
Unpleasant household odors are most common in the winter, when your home is sealed tight to keep in the warmth. Some smells are easier to deal with than others. Here’s a guide to handling five smells — both those that are easy to erase and those that are a little harder to eliminate.
- If frying or burning foods have made your kitchen smelly, pour several tablespoons of vinegar, along with some water, into a pot, and bring it to a boil. After a few minutes of boiling, the vinegar and water vapor released into the air should take care of the unpleasant odor.
- Smoky smell after you’ve enjoyed a fire? A drafty chimney can send soot in the fireplace into the home, creating a very strong smell. Check the damper, ensuring it’s tightly closed. If the problem persists, you may need to increase the air returns in the ductwork system, as a pressure imbalance could be contributing to this smell.
- Unfortunately, a small animal can occasionally get into your home and die. If you can’t locate the animal (perhaps because it has climbed into a wall), use a strong air cleaner to mask the odor. The smell will eventually go away. Thoroughly inspect your home for access points, paying special attention to the attic and basement, and carefully seal to keep this from happening again.
- Sewage smells are terribly unpleasant. If bathroom odors are strong and persistent, add a ventilating fan to the bathroom if you don’t have one. Change the fan to a stronger unit if you do have a fan. You can also pour vinegar into the toilet bowl and leave it for a while. After several minutes, scrub the toilet and flush.
- The smell of burnt dust is often caused by dust accumulation in the heating system. It’s best to deal with the problem by turning on the furnace in the fall, while you can leave windows open, and running the system briefly. Also make sure you have your furnace serviced regularly to avoid a dust buildup in your system.
Give unpleasant household odors the boot with these simple tips. For more information about home comfort and energy-efficient heating, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We’ve served homeowners in greater Cincinnati since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.