Common Injuries from DIY Electrical Work

Professionals who provide electrical services in Cincinnati are trained and certified in proper procedures. Safety is a big part of that training. While taking on do-it-yourself household projects like painting or carpentry can save money and increase your skills, the fact is most electrical work doesn’t belong in the DIY category because of the considerable safety risks. Leaving electrical services in Cincinnati to qualified professionals not only reduces the direct risk to the individual handyman, but it also protects other occupants in the home from secondary hazards like electrical fires and ensures that work performed complies fully with local building codes.

Here are some typical injuries that may result from DIY electrical work:

Burns

The most common electrical injury, burns from electricity can be very severe due to the rapid intense heat generated. Flash burns happen when an arc occurs as electricity jumps from a source to a ground. This instantaneous heat energy can be hot enough to melt steel and cause very serious burns. The intense bright light generates high ultraviolet radiation that can also damage your eyes. Burns can occur when electrical energy flows through the body, internally damaging tissues and bones with intense heat. Severe external burns typically result at the point of contact and the point where the electricity exits the body.

Electrical Shock

Shock from electricity flowing through the body can range from a mere tingling sensation all the way to instantaneous cardiac arrest. Accidentally touching an energized “hot” wire can cause muscles in your hand and arm to involuntarily contract, making it impossible to let go of the wire. If you happen to be working on a roof or ladder, involuntary contractions can cause you to lose your footing and fall. Even low voltages can be dangerous — the electrical current required to run a 10-watt light bulb is enough to stop your heart. The difference between the amount of electricity you can barely feel and a fatal electrical shock can be as little as 50 mill amperes.

Protect yourself and your family. Call the trained professionals at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling, Electrical and Plumbing for electrical services in Cincinnati.

 

"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.
    Image

    Financing

    Image

    Apollo Care Plan