5 Common Chimney Problems That Need Professional Repair
Your chimney is a vital component in the combustion process, removing undesirable by-products from your home and supplying a draft to fuel the fire with air. If your chimney is inadequate, dirty or damaged, it may be unable to perform these necessary functions, placing your family at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Have a professional inspect your chimney annually to detect issues prior to use. Here are five common problems, all of which require professional chimney repair.
- Cracked bricks or joints – Cement, bricks and mortar can all crack, providing an avenue for water to enter your chimney and your home. A professional masonry absorption test can help determine if waterproofing is required.
- Siding issues – Improperly maintained wood siding where knots are loose or missing, or the wood has dried out and split, can allow water leakage behind the siding and into the chimney and house. Have a contractor inspect both the chimney and wood siding for leaks, repairing where necessary.
- The absence of a chimney cover – Water, leaves, debris or animals can all come straight down the chimney if no cover is in place, causing damage or creating a blockage that may lead to a drafting issue or CO poisoning.
- A cracked crown – The chimney crown serves to prevent moisture from entering the chimney. Left untreated, water may seep in, and freezing temperatures in winter causing the expansion and contraction of the cement can make the problem worse. Caught early, a specialty sealant may be applied, while larger cracks require more extensive chimney repair, including replacing the entire crown.
- Damaged flashing – This typically aluminum material is installed where the chimney meets the rooftop, enveloping the sides of the chimney and extending over the shingles. Typically waterproof tar is used to seal the seams, but it can break down over time, allowing water to enter seep in between the roof and chimney. Longer lasting specialty sealants are available and recommended.
For professional chimney repair, call on the experts at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We proudly provide the utmost in service to residents of greater Cincinnati and the Tristate Area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.