Clogged Drain In Your Kitchen or Bathroom? Try These Simple Remedies
A clogged drain in your kitchen or bathroom is certainly an annoyance, and if you’re not familiar with plumbing, you might be tempted to yell for help. But with a little education and some simple remedies, you can unclog that drain yourself.
Try these solutions first, and if they don’t work — or if it looks like you have a problem that’s too big to handle yourself — call in the pros.
Most drains get clogged at curved points, with the one closest to the opening of the drain called the trap. Try using your fingers to pull out the clog. Yes, it may be unpleasant, but it might do the trick.
- Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain. Finish it off with a healthy splash of vinegar. This mixture should foam and act as a natural degreaser. After a few minutes, run hot water down the drain and see if the clog has dissolved.
- If your kitchen or bathroom sink is still clogged, use a flat-bottom sink plunger. Start plunging slowly to keep water from splashing, but increase the force if the clog doesn’t give way.
- If plunging doesn’t do the trick, it’s time for a heavy-duty approach. You might want to call in a plumber at this point if you’re not comfortable with this type of work. But if you are, grab a bucket and a wrench or slip-joint pliers. Slide under the sink and undo the collar that holds the trap together. Gunky water will probably pour into your bucket.
- A final DIY remedy is the snake, which you can pick up for $50 or so at a home-improvement store. Push the snake down the drain, and turn the crank handle when you encounter an obstruction. This is really a remedy that you might want to leave to your plumber.
Keep in mind that there are ways to prevent a clogged drain in your kitchen or bathroom.
- Opt out of a garbage disposal if you can. The added organic material in your pipes is not worth the convenience, and a lot of your garbage can be composted instead.
- Switching from powdered soaps and detergents to liquid soaps and detergents means less buildup in your system. Try not to put any materials down your sink that can accumulate and block the passages.
Maintaining your drains can be a challenge. Contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing if you have any questions or issues. We serve greater Cincinnati homeowners, and we’re happy to help.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.