Top 10 List for Cleaning Your HVAC System this Spring
Whether your spring cleaning includes a hardcore deep clean of the entire house or finally tossing that stack of clothes you haven’t worn, have you remembered to add your HVAC system to your to-do list? Here is a Top 10 plan for cleaning your HVAC system this spring:
- Check and replace your air filter. Depending on what type of filter you have will help you decide how frequently it should be replaced but by keeping it on your spring cleaning list means you won’t forget to overlook it to see if a quick clean with a vacuum will do or if it should be replaced.
- Most air conditioners have a drainage hole on the base of the cabinet, beneath the evaporator fins. This hole needs to be kept clear in order for the air conditioner to work properly. It’s a good idea each spring to use a paper clip or wire to poke through the hole and clear it.
- If you have a ventilation fan in your bathroom take the cover off, wash it with soapy water and clean dirt off the fan blades with a toothbrush. Be sure the power is off when you do this!
- Check the batteries on your carbon monoxide detector.
- Clean the return air vents. For a deep clean you can take them off but for a quick clean take the hose of your vacuum to suck up the exterior accumulated dust and debris.
- Wash your floors. You may wonder what this has to do with your HVAC system, but if the floor is not clean every step you take is brushing up settled dirt which can get sucked into your HVAC system and lower your indoor air quality.
- Clear the clutter around your home. The more clutter there is the more areas that you may not be able to dust well or perhaps is blocking the vents. Either way, this can make your HVAC system use more energy to work harder to get past the clutter.
- Clean your ceiling fans. Again it is a prime place for dust to settle and when disrupted clog your HVAC system.
- It is not just about the inside of your house. Check the outside area as well to make sure there are no plants or weeds growing too close to your air conditioning unit.
- Schedule a maintenance cleaning with your HVAC company for a thorough clean and check for any repairs that you may have overlooked or been unaware you needed.
To get the deep cleaning your HVAC system needs this spring schedule your maintenance visit with Apollo Home Heating, Cooling + Plumbing today and breathe easier. We’ve been servicing the Greater Cincinnati area for more than 100 springs!
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.