Does Your Cincinnati Need Attic Insulation Help? Call a Trusty Handyman
Increasing the amount of insulation in the attic is an effective way to boost home comfort and energy savings year round. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) advises that homes in the Cincinnati area should have a minimum of R-49 installed on the attic floor. To reap the full benefit of adding more attic insulation, it’s essential that the job is done correctly.
Advantages of Hiring a Handyman to Install Attic Insulation
While it’s possible to tackle insulating the attic yourself, hiring an experienced handyman instead can bring you a number of benefits, such as:
- Assistance choosing between insulation products. A handyman can help you decide between rolled batt and blown-in loose fill insulation and can determine the amount needed to reach the optimal R-value.
- Help addressing issues before insulating. A handyman can assess the attic’s condition and advise you about areas of concern, such as water intrusions from a leaky roof, moisture problems caused by improper venting of exhaust fans and appliances, the presence of knob and tube wiring, or inadequate ventilation that traps heat and moisture. He can also tackle air sealing the space beforehand, as recommended by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Knowledge of proper installation techniques. There are key differences in the installation of loose fill and batt insulation, and an experienced handyman knows which techniques to use for each type.
- An understanding of how to preserve vital attic airflow. When installing insulation, it’s critical to avoid accidentally blocking the passive air vents that allow heat and humidity to escape from the attic.
- Expertise in reducing potential fire hazards. A skilled handyman understands that it’s vital to place insulation three inches from any heat source and to check for insulation contact rated, or IC-rated light fixtures. He’ll also know how to create effective barriers from wire mesh or sheet metal around standard recessed lights, HVAC equipment, and the furnace flue to mitigate the risk of fire.
If you need expert help with installing attic insulation in your greater Cincinnati area home, contact us today at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com