5 Tips for Cincinnati Homeowners Shopping for Appliance Upgrades and Installation
Since home appliances typically carry a hefty price tag, relying on local experts can help you through the selection and appliance installation process. Their expertise will save you time, increase satisfaction and help make educated decisions.
Here are five tips to help make the appliance upgrade and installation process easier:
- Set your priorities. Appliances that use a lot of energy, like HVAC systems and water heaters, tend to lose efficiency over time. If energy savings is your motivating factor, put these at the top of the list to lower energy bills, assuming the rest of your home appliances are working.
- Size it properly. The cost of appliances is often associated with their size, along with the cost of operating them over their lifetimes. Refrigerators that you can’t fill will increase energy costs, since the food in the refrigerator and freezer hold cold temperatures longer than air. An HVAC system that’s too large will drive up energy consumption, offer less comfort and may require more maintenance. Water heaters need to be sized by their first hour rating (FHR), not by gallons. (The FHR indicates how many gallons the water heater can provide during the hour of your peak usage.)
- Consider the impact on your home’s value when going through appliance installation. If you plan to sell your home within the next five years, replace the appliances based on current market preferences and efficiency. The majority of potential homebuyers look for highly efficient homes to lower energy bills.
- Look for the EnergyGuide label on the appliance to learn its energy consumption. You’ll find a horizontal line with a vertical arrow that indicates how the appliance compares to others in that category for energy efficiency.
- Read the warranty. Some appliances require professional installation to keep their warranties active or legal. HVAC installations have to be performed by a licensed professional to keep these current, and some gas providers may require licensed plumbers to complete the hookup process.
Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing can help you with appliance upgrade and installation and selection, as well as other handyman services. We’ve provided outstanding services for greater Cincinnati homeowners since 1910.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.