Allergy-Proof Your Cincinnati Home With These Room by Room Tips
If you’re one of the 30 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies, you can allergy-proof your home to find some relief from the miserable symptoms caused by the varieties of pollen that proliferate throughout Cincinnati in the fall.
This room-by-room guide will get you breathing easier and sleeping better in no time.
- Wash your bedding weekly in hot water to kill dust mites, whose highly allergenic droppings can increase your suffering.
- Thoroughly vacuum your mattress while your bedding washes.
- Install allergy-proof covers on your mattresses and pillows.
- Don’t allow pets on your bed.
- Opt for leather furniture rather than fabric upholstery, which traps dust and allergens in the fibers.
- Vacuum both sides of your area rugs weekly and beat them outdoors twice a year.
- Lay gravel over the dirt in your potted plants to keep mold spores from becoming airborne.
- Avoid using your fireplace or wood-burning stove, which can exacerbate allergy symptoms.
- Turn on your stove vent while cooking to remove gases and moisture.
- Keep food tightly sealed in your cupboards.
- Wash your dishes daily to keep pests at bay.
- Clean out your refrigerator weekly to prevent mold growth.
- Sweep or vacuum your kitchen daily to remove crumbs.
- Install a pest-proof lid on your garbage can.
- Use your bathroom vent while you bathe to remove moisture from the air.
- Dry your shower walls or bathtub surround after bathing to prevent mold growth.
- Keep your fixtures clean and dry to prevent mold and pests.
- Use a portable dehumidifier to remove moisture from your basement.
- Repair cracks in your foundation immediately to prevent water damage and mold growth.
- Store items in plastic bags or tubs with tightly fitting lids.
- Remove carpeting, which traps allergens, and install hard flooring.
- Keep your humidity level in the optimum 30 to 50 percent range.
- Dust weekly with an electrostatic dusting cloth.
- Vacuum weekly with a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA filter.
For more information on how to allergy-proof your home, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We proudly serve the HVAC needs of homeowners throughout the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.