After a Carbon Monoxide Detector Goes Off, Pros Know Where to Look for the Cause

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in the U.S.

Produced as a by-product of the combustion of gas and oil furnaces, water heaters, ovens, automobiles and more, carbon monoxide fumes can build to dangerous levels when improperly vented in enclosed areas. Carbon monoxide detectors are imperative in identifying these colorless, odorless fumes and preventing them from destroying your indoor air quality and harming your family.

If you and your family are inside your home when your carbon monoxide detector goes off, immediately vacate the premises, moving outside for fresh air. After you’re sure everyone is accounted for, contact the fire department. Do not re-enter your home until it’s been aired out and a professional has located the source.

Professional carbon monoxide detection

Professionals will thoroughly inspect your home for sources of carbon monoxide in the following places:

  • Fireplaces, chimney flues and venting systems – Professionals will check for bends and blockages that could force CO gas back into your home.
  • Gas or oil furnaces – These are frequently the source of carbon monoxide. Burners and ignition systems must be checked, pipes and venting inspected for leaks, and filtering systems checked for blockages.
  • Venting and fan systems on fuel burning appliances – Professionals will check for proper installation and venting on items like gas water heaters, clothes dryers, space heaters and wood burning stoves.
  • Pilot lights of stoves and fireplaces – In closed-up homes, these can cause issues when not operating properly, as they’re not vented to the outside.

Carbon monoxide safety

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
  • Never leave your car running in an attached garage, even if the door is open.
  • Never burn charcoal inside.
  • Never use your gas stove as a heater, and keep the door tightly closed when it is operating.

When carbon monoxide detectors set of an alarm, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. Family owned and operated since 1910, Apollo Home will send a professional to detect carbon monoxide sources in your greater Cincinnati area home.

Image via Shutterstock.com

"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.
    Image

    Financing

    Image

    Apollo Care Plan