A/C Replacement: Installation and Unit Location Makes a Difference
If an A/C replacement is in your near future, you’ll want to learn why the location and installation of the air conditioner will greatly affect its future performance.
Think of the exercise as an opportunity, because today’s energy-efficient air conditioners can operate at 90 percent efficiency levels or more. This means that even if your central air conditioner is only 10 years old, you may save between 20 and 40 percent on your cooling costs, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
Those savings, however, can literally go right out the window if your new air conditioner is improperly installed or placed in the wrong spot.
Take a proactive role during your A/C replacement and make sure that your contractor:
- Situates the condensing unit in a place free of obstructions, which can block airflow to your A/C.
- Situates the condensing unit where it stands the least chance of distracting you or your neighbors. In most cases, this means that it should be located away from bedroom windows.
- Allows plenty of room around the unit so that it can be easily accessed for repairs.
- Installs the thermostat far away from potentially interfering sources of hot and cold air, especially windows and registers.
- Refers to a reputable duct-sizing tool, such as the one provided by Air Conditioning Contractors of America.
- Installs ductwork in conditioned spaces only and not in the attic, if it can be avoided.
- Checks that there are adequate supply registers in your home to deliver cool air, as well as an adequate number of return air registers to carry warm indoor air back to the air conditioner.
- Seals all ducts with duct mastic and amply insulates attic ductwork.
- Installs an access door leading to the evaporator coil.
- Checks that your new A/C has a proper refrigerant charge and airflow rate, as outlined by the A/C manufacturer.
For more information about A/C replacement for your home, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling & Plumbing.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.