A Programmable Thermostat Can Lower Your Bills: Basic Steps for Installing One
Heating your home during a cold Cincinnati winter and cooling your home during the heat of summer can be quite expensive. But with a programmable thermostat, you can lower your energy bills.
Depending on the type of thermostat you purchase, you may be able to select day and night temperatures, as well as separate settings for each day of the week.
Here are some basic steps for installing your new thermostat:
- Turn off power to thermostat. Make sure to turn off electricity to the thermostat using the breaker switch in your fuse box or circuit breaker box. Also, make sure to test the wires to confirm that the power has been switched off.
- Remove your old thermostat. Unscrew the thermostat and remove it along with the wall plate. Make sure to label the wire with the letter of the terminal that it was removed from. Tape the wires to the wall so that you don’t lose them.
- Install the new wall plate. It might be necessary to drill new holes for the new wall plate. Use a level to mark where holes have to be drilled. If necessary, don’t hesitate to use drywall anchors.
- Match labeled wires with corresponding letters on new thermostat terminal. Connect these wires in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions that are included with your new programmable thermostat.
- Mount thermostat unit to new wall plate and restore power. Program your new thermostat as directed by the manufacturer’s instructions.
For more information on programmable thermostats and other HVAC needs, contact the pros at Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing. We’re proud to serve the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.