5 Energy-Saving Myths Debunked
Relying on an energy-saving myth may cost you money and comfort this winter. All too often, home energy conservation decisions are based on outdated, debunked folklore that was once accepted as common knowledge. New technology proves that some longstanding beliefs about energy conservation are actually closer to fables than actual scientific fact. See if you recognize a familiar energy-saving myth from the list of five below.
- Keep the furnace thermostat at normal comfort setting all the time, even while the home is unoccupied. People used to believe more energy was wasted warming up a cold house than by leaving the furnace at a normal setting 7 Days a week. Turns out, it’s not true. Bumping the thermostat down 8 to 10 degrees while the home’s unoccupied for several hours saves more money than keeping the setting at its usual temperature.
- A wood-burning fireplace saves money and heats efficiently. Are you gathering and chopping your own firewood? If not, purchasing commercial firewood is a costly way to buy BTUs of heat. Also, most heat produced by a fireplace goes straight up the chimney.
- The higher you set the thermostat, the faster the home warms up. Actually, the furnace generates consistent heat whether the thermostat is set at the typical temperature—or cranked all the way up. Be patient. Higher thermostat settings lead to energy waste and a too-hot house.
- To better distribute heat, close heating vents in unused rooms. A forced-air furnace and duct system is designed to convey a balanced amount of heated airflow into and out of every room. Closing heating vents in some rooms throws the system out of balance and may make heating throughout the house inconsistent. It also tends to increase air leakage from ductwork.
- High-efficiency windows reduce heat loss and save money. That much is true, however, the savings may take many years to compensate for the cost of the windows. For more immediate payoff, inexpensive caulking and weatherstripping is a more cost-efficient and effective method of weatherizing doors and windows.
Relying on an energy-saving myth to stay comfortable this winter? Call the professionals Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing.
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.