Many homeowners think of allergies as an outdoor issue and forget to consider the common allergy triggers that can exist indoors. There are a number of allergens that are common in Cincinnati area homes, affecting indoor air quality and causing unpleasant symptoms for family members who suffer from allergies.
Common Allergy Triggers
Here are some common indoor allergy triggers, as well as ways you can prevent them from flourishing in your home.
- Mold – Mold can be hard to spot, so it’s often present in homes for a long time before it’s noticed. Avoid mold by sealing leaks immediately, and consider installing a dehumidifier in particularly damp rooms. Basements and bathrooms are common sites for mold, so pay attention to these areas, especially if they’re located near air ducts.
- Dust – Dust is present in most homes, and it’s generally considered just an inconvenience. However, dust mites, which feed on dust particles, can be particularly dangerous for those with allergies. To control dust, clean frequently and change the HVAC system’s air filter on a monthly basis.
- Pollen – Pollen is often considered an outdoor allergen, but pollen brought inside on clothes, shoes and other items can cause allergy symptoms indoors as well. Avoid tracking pollen in by removing shoes at the door and keep windows closed on breezy days, especially during the spring and summer.
- Pet dander – Pets are a part of the family in many households, but their hair and dander can be problematic for allergy sufferers. Keep pets off of furniture, especially beds, and vacuum frequently to clean up pet dander. Consider investing in an air purifier if dander becomes too difficult to contain.
- Cigarette smoke – Cigarette smoke sensitivity, while not an allergy, is a major concern for many people, particularly those with asthma. Plus, secondhand smoke is dangerous. Never smoke inside the house, and try to contain clothing and other items that are exposed to smoke on a regular basis.
For more information on decreasing the presence of common allergy triggers in your Cincinnati area home, contact Apollo Home Heating, Cooling and Plumbing today.
Image via Shutterstock.com
"Ernie & Mike did a superb job on my new furnace and A/C installation. Despite having more than a day’s work to do, they came in and stayed until the job was done. They were organized, efficient, and protected the rest of the house well. Got both furnace and A/C installed the same day. Ernie was courteous, informative, and clearly knew his job better than anyone I’ve encountered before. The units look so good guests now get The Tour of our new system. Apollo is clearly not a fly-by-night company. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a new furnace and/or A/C."
- Jerry A.
"I called Apollo because of a water leak I thought I had in our upstairs shower going into the kitchen. Robbie came and assured me everything was fine & looked at all the other plumbing. He ended up changing a few pipes for our washer & clearing a drain. He was very nice & knowledgeable with all my questions. I ended up signing up for the care plan & was very happy with my service."
- Cassandra B.
"The team at Apollo exceeded my expectations. As a business owner, my attention to the details and commitment to providing excellent service is high. From the sales rep. to the installation team, everyone’s performance was outstanding. For example, the installation team went to great lengths to protect our floors, placing floor runners and across the wood floors and up the stairs. They even were spot washing walls upon their departure. I highly recommend this company."
- Randy B.
"We scheduled an estimate AND a tune-up. We knew something was wrong with our furnace, but hoped we could make it through the rest of the season. Upon telling Bill what our furnace was doing, he warned us immediately what the possible outcome was going to be; a cracked heat exchanger. He watched the flames roll backward, tested carbon monoxide levels, which were so high they meter’s last reading was 5,600 before saying “high”. He immediately shut it down, tagged it, and explained that with levels that high and children in our home he wanted off right away. He continued his inspection and showed us via a camera that not only was it cracked in multiple places, but had holes all over it. He gave us a few options for repairing it; his knowledge as well as genuine concern was beneficial and refreshing. Luckily we also scheduled an estimator, Micah, to come too and we were able to get costs between repairing and replacing (with several options). We decided to replace with a much higher efficiency furnace and one sized properly to our home. Hands down, not only did they both provide us great service and knowledge, but without sounding dramatic, they may have saved our lives. This was our first time calling Apollo, but it won’t be our last."
- Sarah B.
"Apollo is an excellent company. I always receive great service. Alex A. was professional and friendly. He kept me informed during the process of checking my furnace and heat pump to make sure they were working properly. The company makes sure you are notified who is coming and when they are on the way. All my interactions with the company have been wonderful."
- Beverly S.